Monday, May 30, 2011

ICC in the Media, Update #30

This week the media attention shifted from Libya back to Kenya. On Sunday ICC Prosecutor Ocampo made a statement that members of Kenya's government "are misrepresenting ICC efforts to do justice for the victims as an attack against Kenyan sovereignty" as part of a political campaign. Discussions between the ICC and Kenyan government have begun over the government's apparent shift in position since the suspects were named late last year. The focus of the discussions reportedly is determining whether the government is"protecting witnesses or protecting the suspects from investigation." Kenya's Justice Minister Kilonzo dismissed the ICC's accusations as unfounded saying that Kenya continues to cooperate with the Court. Regardless, representatives of the ICC travelled to Kenya today to further discuss Kenya's committment to the ICC and issues of witness protection.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

ICC in the Media, Update #29

This past week the media has fixated on the ICC's involvement in Libya. On Monday ICC Prosecutor Ocampo appeared before ICC judges requesting the issuance of arrest warrants against Muammar Abu Minya Gaddafi, Saif Al Islam Gaddafi (Gaddafi's son) and Abdullah Al Sanousi (the Head of the Intelligence of Libya) for crimes against humanity committed in Libya. Ocampo apparently based his applications on "direct evidence" that the three held meetings to plan the crimes and took various roles in executing them. The judges are currently considering the application which they have the ability to grant, deny or request more information from the prosecution. Many members of the international community have heralded this step as one of "great importance" for both Libya and the fight against impunity for perpetrators of atrocity crimes. Reportedly Ocampo said that if arrest warrants are issued it will be up to Libyans to make arrests. In other news the President of the Ivory Coast has asked the ICC to investigate the "most serious crimes" committed after the country's disputed election last November that lead to a bloody political standoff. On May 3, 2011 Ocampo said the Office of the Prosecutor was preparing to launch a formal investigation into the tragic events. The Kenya post-election violence pre-trial proceedings continue with suspects Ruto and Sang demanding that Ocampo be reprimanded for an application he filed. The court has not yet responded to the suspects' latest request. Photo credit: The L.A. Times.